Monday, August 15, 2011

Unlocking the Forbidden

Though my last attempt to view a so-called "classic sci-fi film" ended miserably, I decided to roll the dice on another one. More people would probably consider this one a classic anyway: Forbidden Planet.

I found two aspects of the film to have the most impact. First was the visual effects. This movie was made in 1956, yet has effects that would have still been impressive 30 years down the road. Yes, the spaceship is shaped like a flying saucer and looks super cheesy in a way that tells you exactly when the movie actually was made, in the same way that shag carpeting tells you a room was furnished in the 1970s. But the quality of effects is pretty amazing if you can overlook the content of those effects.

The other aspect is the performance of Leslie Nielsen as the commander of the spaceship. I am aware that Nielsen was a well-regarded serious actor before the 1980s arrived and he became better known for deadpan humor. And yet I'd never seen it myself in action. It's truly an amazing thing to behold. I kept expecting him to make a joke. Really, his behavior in this movie was not that different from his behavior in a movie like The Naked Gun -- it's all a matter of context.

But as far as the overall quality of the movie? Meh. It's not terrible, but neither is it great. I wouldn't put it on any "best movie" lists, though I certainly would put it high on a "most influential" movies list. This movie clearly inspired a lot of science fiction that would follow, particularly the Star Trek television series. In fact, the whole film plays like an average episode of the original series -- no "Amok Time" or "The Doomsday Machine," but neither a "Spock's Brain."

I'd call it a C-, all told. Probably something sci-fi fans should see to better "know their roots." But it's certainly not anything to show a non-sci-fi fan. They won't get it. (Even if it is based on Shakespeare.)

No comments: