Thursday, March 15, 2012

Guilty

Tonight's episode of Awake was possibly my least favorite of the three so far, but I was still very entertained and found it interesting. I did like the way they took a typical cop show story about a kidnapping and put a spin on it that would only be possible on this show.

Michael's desperation at the possibility of losing his son was heightened by having already lost his son in his other reality, a strange kind of intensely personal stakes that could only be done on this show. And then there was the realization that he could still question a suspect who had died by traveling to the other reality to do it there.

I read some online criticism of last week's episode, saying that the scenes involving Michael's wife -- without him being present -- seemed to concretely state that reality was the true one. This week shot that theory down by including scenes of Michael's son without his presence. The scales are balanced again.

My response may not be that of the typical viewer, but I find I just don't have any interest in proving one reality as "real." I accept the premise exactly as the main character is living it -- that both worlds are real. I'm entertained at the interplay between them, and am not out for "answers." Awake may run six seasons, it may run six episodes, but to me Awake is no more about proving a reality than How I Met Your Mother is about actually meeting The Mother.

It's just a neat concept, and the writers are still feeling their way around it. And I like what they're finding.

No comments: