Sunday, May 06, 2012

The Old Gods and the New

Without getting too specific I hope, there were a few characters whose stories in the book A Clash of Kings weren't particularly exciting to me. Daenerys was at or near the top of that list, with a scant five chapters in George R. R. Martin's book that didn't thrill me half as much as the writing on the other characters.

So imagine my surprise to see tonight's episode conclude with a major development that didn't occur in the book -- the theft of Dany's dragons! Reflecting on it now to write up my thoughts on the episode, I suppose I could have been annoyed at an idea clearly manufactured to create a punchy cliffhanger. I could note the lack of real suspense here, because the story is clearly going to have to end in a way that lines back up with the books. But instead, I find myself pleased that the writers have injected a bit more life into what I found to be a relatively stagnant plot line. I don't know exactly what's going to happen next week, and I think that's fun!

It wasn't the only fun addition this week, either. Unless my memory has failed me, the scene in which Littlefinger shows up to meet with Tywin Lannister was also an addition from the book, and I thought the tension of Arya having to hide her identity from him was marvelously executed. I knew that she wasn't going to be discovered in that moment, but I was nonetheless on the edge of my seat, thrilled to watch her maneuver out of the snare.

The rest of Arya's story did come straight from the book, though... but was just as well executed. Arya is wasting away her three "death wishes." She used the first last week on a rather petty and immediate target, but it was understandable given that she didn't understand the full scope of the power she had at her command. This week, she had an immediate problem that could not wait, so had to squander her second death to protect her identity. (And what a fantastic reveal of the door opening and her victim falling dead of a poisoned dart.) She has only one death left, and I don't think you have to have read the book to know that she'll use it more wisely.

For once this season, it was a light week for Tyrion. He had only one or two big moments, even letting a slight from Cersei go unanswered. But then again, he did have a moment that I'm sure made people leap on their couches with joy, when he slapped Joffrey upside the head. Not that it would put any sense in him.

Someone else desperately in need of some slapping around, the weaselly Theon. The opening sequence at Winterfell was a wonderful illustration of just how oily and incapable he is all at once. First he was goaded into carrying out an execution (never mind the fact that his first mate was probably right about respect), and then he couldn't even do it properly. Inept on every level, and he showed it again later when Osha got the better of him and slipped out of the keep with Bran, Rickon, the wolves, and Hodor. (Hodor!)

Beyond the Wall, Jon Snow ran into Ygritte, the wildling woman who finally starts his storyline down a much more interesting path. The episode tried mightily to explain how it was the two came to be separated from the rest of the party; I believed it a bit more here than in the book, I suppose, but I still thought it a bit suspect. Ah well, a necessary contrivance to move the story along, I suppose.

Overall, another solid episode.

No comments: