Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Top 100 Movies -- 25-21

25. The Fifth Element. This movie is a masterful blend of things that are often mutually exclusive in movies. It has pulse-pounding action, but is always smart. It has eye-popping visuals, but there's substance in the plot. It's driven by a science-fiction premise, but it's quite basic in story and very accessible. It also has an exceptional cast. Alright, so Chris Tucker is definitely a "you'll love him or hate him" element, but Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich are wonderful leads, Ian Holm a delightful comic foil, and Gary Oldman a wonderful mustache-twirling sort of villain. This is one of only a handful of movies I saw twice in one day in the theater -- and I would gladly go see it again if a theater was doing a retro screening of it.

24. Se7en. Director David Fincher has made several great movies, but this one is his finest. I've raved about it before. The tone is perfectly dark and unsettling. Though less overtly violent than many films, this movie makes you feel the weight of the violence it depicts, and it is horrific. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are exceptional, and play perfectly off one another. The unexpected twists in the normal structure of a detective movie are riveting. And the climax with Kevin Spacey is one of the best movie endings ever.

23. The Ring. I've seen dozens of horror films. Most are cheesy and terrible. A few manage to offer up one or two solid scenes of creepy suspense that make the ride worthwhile. But none offer as consistent a level of unsettling dread as The Ring. The creepy, lurching, long-haired girl of this movie's twisted and mysterious video tape comes from a long line of "creepy girls" in horror movies, but I find her to be the best of the lot. I think this is the perfect movie to watch alone at home with the lights -- and the phone -- off.

22. Star Wars. Though there are times when it seems like George Lucas has been spending the last 35 years aggressively trying to destroy everything that was ever cool about the Star Wars saga, the original film is still transcendent. I'm not sure I could ever sour on it so much as an adult that it would make me forget just how much I loved it as a kid, and it's still through those child's eyes that I watch the film today. Star Wars is loaded fantastic swashbuckling thrills, and heroes of many types for everyone to enjoy or imagine being. This is also the film that began my love of movie soundtracks with John Williams' indelible score.

21. Edward Scissorhands. Tim Burton's best film is this surprisingly emotional tweak to the Frankenstein story. The mash-up of gothic horror with vintage suburbia is a visual and narrative treat, and the performances from the entire cast are excellent. I could continue to gush, but it would likely be a replay of my review from a few years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THE FIFTH ELEMENT
Only saw it once, and pretty much hated it. Maybe I'd need to see it again. It just seemed completely cheesy to me. (And I remember rolling my eyes at the big reveal at the end.)

SE7EN
Only saw it once, but I remember enjoying it very much. I definitely need to see this one again.

THE RING
You're not the first one to tell how you practically soiled yourself watching this movie. But I'm pretty much the only horror movie enthusiast in my home, so it's a bit tricky to find a time slot to fit those in. Still, at the top of my "to watch alone" list.

STAR WARS
Well, what can I say. And the fact that my youngest daughter is a HUGE Star Wars fan doesn't help. :)

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a terribly soft spot for this movie. It truly is a great one.

FKL