Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Things We Bury

I never got around to writing about last week's episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. But since there is no new episode this week, that gives me a chance to catch up.

The episode left me a little unsure what to think about Kyle McLachlan's character. When he was introduced to the show, the seemed to be setting him up as a fairly dark character, a serious threat to be dealt with. But this week seemed to take him in a more humorous direction. I understand the need for a contrast with the season's other recurring villain, Whitehall, but I'm not sure this shade of humor is working on him. It's as though he's being asked to play his character "The Captain" from How I Met Your Mother -- but a version that's self-aware and in on his own joke.

But while I remain unsure of his behavior, the unfolding story surrounding him is quite compelling. It was a wonderful revelation at the end of the episode that he's actually out for revenge against Whitehall for the murder of his wife. (Presumably, Skye's mother?) Tying the two plot threads together seems like it can only be a good thing for coming episodes.

Actually, all the Whitehall material in this episode I found interesting in general. Part of me knows that it was sort of an extended preview telling me to "watch Agent Carter this January!" -- except that I totally want to now. The retro vibe of the first Captain America movie was very entertaining, and if they can serve up a mini-series with that flavor (and a female protagonist), I don't see how it could go wrong.

There was, as always, great material for our heroes. Hunter and Morse's antagonism ended up where we all knew it would, but that didn't make it less fun. Seeing Fitz reclaim a place in the field -- and his sense of humor -- was wonderful. And "plotting Coulson" is always entertaining.

What flopped for me was the storyline involving Ward. Don't get me wrong, I still love wild card Ward, out in the world causing trouble. What I didn't like was how quickly his brother Christian was dispatched. In season one, we learned that Christian was the only person who could rattle Grant Ward. Then, in season two, this "evil brother" appeared on the scene as an oily politician that seemed poised to be a great foe, a more conniving and intelligent villain that the rather boring Colonel Talbot. Except in this episode, we saw Grant totally manhandle and defeat Christian, reducing him to a blubbering mess before apparently killing him.... off-camera.

Now, I suppose you could leave room for the possibility that Christian Ward isn't actually dead. But it's hard to see why Grant would risk blowing his new cover with Whitehall should Christian turn up alive -- and it's absolutely impossible to see why Christian would agree to go into hiding voluntarily. So dead brother is really the only thing that seems reasonable here... in which case, it was just all too easy. Too anti-climactic.

So, a mix of good and bad for me. But still, more good than bad. I think I'd call it a B+ overall.

No comments: