Thursday, April 16, 2015

Double Digits

Today marks a mind-boggling milestone for this blog: its 10th anniversary.

When I started up Heimlich Maneuvers 10 years ago today (and nearly 3500 posts ago), a lot of my friends were into the blogging thing. A lot of us had recently been laid off from Decipher, and we were maybe looking for a way to keep in touch with each other as we departed Virginia in every direction imaginable. (Facebook wasn't yet the widely known phenomenon that could have served that purpose.)

Gradually, the blog morphed into what it is today: a place where I mostly review pop culture -- movies, TV shows, books, board games, music -- occasionally interrupted by vacation stories. I probably would have given it up a long time ago, but to my surprise, I have a tiny handful of readers who seem to enjoy it. Thanks for sticking with me, and I hope you still get what you're looking for.

I make no promises to still be at this in another 10 years. (Especially if I ever actually redirect my writing efforts into my take on the Great American Novel or something.) But for now, I'll keep my opinions coming. I have plenty of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just letting you know I'm still lurking around and enjoying your excellent views on stuff. I'm sure it's no mistake you've gathered a following, you seem to have a talent for pointing out awesomeness and flaws in a much better way than most.

You could probably collect your Trek reviews and publish THAT as a book. You're half-way done already! Those alone are book-worthy not to mention all your other stuff.

the mole

Anonymous said...

I've been here since the beginning, and I'll be here 'til the end. :)

FKL