Thursday, January 03, 2019

2018 in Review -- Movies

It's an annual tradition for me and the blog: talking about my favorite movies of the year just past. It's a post I always go back and update, particularly in the first weeks of the new year, as I watch more movies that find their way onto the list. This year, I delayed my post a bit so it wouldn't immediately need revisiting; I caught Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse on literally the last day of 2018, and it managed to make the cut. I figured my review post of that should come before the Top 10 List.

I squeezed in just a few more movies in 2018 than in the year before, 64 in all. (Well, actually, 63 and 1/3. You'll find out more about that in a post soon to come.) Of those, 25 were out at the theater (with another three at the symphony).

Here's how my Top 10 of 2018 currently stands (with links to my original reviews):
  1. Hereditary
  2. Love, Simon
  3. Sorry to Bother You
  4. Deadpool 2
  5. Mission: Impossible -- Fallout
  6. Incredibles 2
  7. Ready Player One
  8. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  10. Isle of Dogs
Fully half the movies I saw last year were actually released in 2018. As of right now, I'd say that it was a year that consistently delivered "good, not great." I've seen only one clear "A" movie so far (an A-, actually). The rest of my list is dominated by a wide band of B+s. But on the other hand, I could have gone with a Top 20 and still not dropped to any B- grades. My "next 10" is full of things I did enjoy, would recommend to most people, and wouldn't be surprised to hear others put on their own "best of the year" lists.

I still have catching up to do on the movies expected to contend in this year's Oscar race. But at this point, I'm not really going to be cheering for anything likely to be in the hunt. Maybe Black Panther, just for the refreshing shock to the system that would be? (Though while a nomination for Best Picture seems possible, an actual win seems... not.)

Another movie year in the books. Bring on more movies!

Updated 5/7/19:
  1. Hereditary
  2. Searching
  3. Love, Simon
  4. Sorry to Bother You
  5. Deadpool 2
  6. Mission: Impossible -- Fallout
  7. Incredibles 2
  8. Ready Player One
  9. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  10. Green Book

No comments: