Friday, June 21, 2019

A Brief Dispatch

From a confluence of a few different places, I was recently encouraged to check out the work of science fiction writer John Scalzi. I've added one of his full length novels to my reading list, but I've already had a chance to enjoy one of his shorter tales in audiobook form: The Dispatcher.

The Dispatcher posits an alternate world in which 99.9% of all murdered people are instantly restored to life and somehow teleported back to their homes, healed of recent injuries, and with full knowledge of everything that happened to them. This state of reality has given rise to an unusual profession, that of the titular Dispatcher, a person with a professional license to murder. Undergoing a risky surgery? Insurance will put a dispatcher in the room in case of complication, to kill you and spirit you home. Want to take "fight club" to the next level? Beat your opponent literally to death, with little chance of consequence.

But there is that one in a thousand chance that someone murdered doesn't come back.

John Scalzi sets up this clever world, and then puts the character of Tony Valdez into a twisted story that cuts to the heart of the premise. It's a story that's part mystery, part science fiction, and it explores both those aspects well. It's a classic science fiction construction: "if X is true, then what Y would follow?" The tale avoids just enough roads it might have gone down to keep you guessing about what will happen next, while exploring enough aspects of the premise to leave you satisfied.

The audiobook version of the story that I enjoyed was read by actor Zachary Quinto. He was a solid narrator, perhaps more effective voicing some characters than others, but overall good at fleshing out the pictures painted with Scalzi's words. It was a perfect selection for a road trip -- and that's how my husband and I used it, for our driving outside of Portland during our May trip.

It would be hard to say much more without giving it all away, what with the story taking less than three hours to listen to. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed it and would recommend it. I give The Dispatcher an A-. I was intrigued both in this tale in particular, and to learn what other tales John Scalzi has written. I'll definitely be trying another book from him.

1 comment:

The Down East Genealogist said...

I emjoyed The Dispatcher, too. For Scalzi's full-length novels, I can recommend Lock In (and its sequel, Head-On), Redshirts, and Agent to the Stars, all narrated by Wil Wheaton. Old Man's War was OK, but I wasn't particularly enamored with the rest of that series.

Major Rakal