Sunday, August 29, 2010

And the Emmy Snark Goes To...

I love that Glee is the subject of the big opening sketch. And it features people from Dancing with the Stars, Lost, and Mad Men... because nothing on NBC has half the heat on it that any of those other shows have.

I'm surprised it actually took 8 whole minutes for Jimmy Fallon to make the Conan O'Brien joke.

Suddenly I want a giant moving video wall.

I truly love Modern Family. And I'm pleasantly surprised that the cast didn't divide the Emmy vote too much to keep one of its brilliant actors from winning Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

Love love love John Hodgman.

The writing intro is hysterically funny.

Looks like the Modern Family domination has begun.

Something on Saturday Night Live in the last 10 years was deemed award nomination worthy? Good for you, Kristen Wiig.

George Clooney rocks the Modern Family bit.

Did somebody get the license plate number on that speeding Jim Parsons?

I haven't seen Nurse Jackie, but I haven't heard the greatest things about it. Seems to me that Edie Falco just won the "we loved you in The Sopranos" award.

The undefeated Emmy streak of The Amazing Race is over.

The drama montage has the music mixed WAY louder than the dialogue. And why do they feel it's necessary to put the titles of the shows on these clips when they didn't for the earlier categories?

Uh... spoiler alert if you haven't kept current with these shows!

Damn, they aren't screwing around with playing people off who run over time in their speeches!

I would have been happy to see Michael Emerson or Terry O'Quinn win Supporting Actor for Lost, but Aaron Paul was truly incredible in the just completed season of Breaking Bad. He deserved it.

Cut the Tweets bits. Now.

Wow... didn't see the Supporting Actress going to Archie Panjabi. I don't know that she was really the best of that group of actresses, but I will agree she's one of the best things about The Good Wife.

In my opinion, the Best Actor Drama category is the toughest one of the night. But Bryan Cranston gets the three-peat, and I can't argue with the choice. But I also respect him honoring the other nominees with what seemed like genuine appreciation.

I love that the Emmy clock shows us how long they're running.

I love John Lithgow, and loved him in Dexter, but guest actor is preposterous.

Another tough category in Drama Writing. Hard to fault any winner there; I'll go along with giving it to Dexter.

The songs in the "shows we lost" bit aren't that funny, but the quick changes are awesome.

Kyra Sedgwick is spazzing a bit here. (Not that I wouldn't.)

Really? You're gonna try to claim the Olympic opening ceremony as though you had anything to do with it?

Ricky Gervais tears into Mel Gibson. Deservedly. And then passes out beer. Perfect.

"Bucky Gunts!"

I thought for sure that The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien would win the "screw you" award, but the voters were a little too stuffy for that. (Not that The Daily Show wasn't awesome this season.)

If Trinity from The Matrix ever wore an evening gown, I think it would look like the one on Julianna Margulies.

January Jones' dress looks like it's trying to escape from her.

And so does Julie Ormand's.

Why does Claire Danes get a string quartet? That's random.

No clear single winner in the morbid "death montage applause" competition. Actually, the audience seemed strangely unwilling to applaud most of them.

This could be the most clothing the True Blood cast has ever worn.

You can keep the music going until the Temple Grandin director actually reaches the microphone.

I don't know if Al Pacino really deserved the award over Dennis Quaid (who was brilliant in The Special Relationship)... but he was probably the least "Al Pacino" he's ever been in any performance he's given. That's something.

Really? There are only two mini-series nominees? They can do that?

Tom Selleck looks like he's rubbed shoe polish through his eyebrows and mustache.

I would have picked Breaking Bad over Mad Men, but they're both good shows.

Way to go to Matthew Weiner for picking up his speech exactly where he got cut off.

It's Ted Danson's mirror universe evil twin!

I've often called Modern Family the "new Arrested Development." I hope it doesn't follow that show in winning an Emmy the first year, only to have no one watch it and be unceremoniously canceled too soon.

No comments: