Saturday, August 07, 2010

GenCon Highlights

So, GenCon has been pretty fun so far. As fun as it can be, anyway, when your purpose for being there is to stand on your feet for eight hours straight and talk (above a steady buzz) to people non-stop, giving a game demo over and over again.

It seems to me like there are a lot more costumes here this year than I remember seeing at past GenCons. (I always associated the crazy costumes more with DragonCon or ComicCon.) I've seen a Dr. Horrible, a Captain Hammer, and then the actual Felicia Day, so I've collected that "full set."

I've seen three Links from The Legend of Zelda, which is cute. Every single one of them was holding his sword correctly in his left hand, which is nerdy. I knew that Link is left-haned, which is incredibly nerdy.

I haven't let myself look at too many games. My only luggage is carry-on, and it's fully packed. No room for anything on the return trip, sadly. It does seem like there are a lot of "like Dominion" games this show, which I guess I'm alright with. I like the concept of Dominion, but since I wrote that initial review of the game a while back, my opinion of that game itself has plummeted. I feel it's very imbalanced, and not very fun once you "break it." If another game company can take the idea and make a better game with it, great!

Last day of the show tomorrow, then I get a few days off with family in Indy before returning home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mega-nerdy trivia fact: for the Wii Zelda game, Twilight Princess, Link was right handed. originally designed as left-handed, they figured most gamers would hold the Wiimote in their right hands (used to swing the sword) and they "mirrored" the entire game. the official artwork and even pictures on the box show him correctly left-handed but during gameplay he's not.

the mole

DrHeimlich said...

I see your nerd fact and raise you this one: Twilight Princess was also released on GameCube. In THAT version, Link was correctly left-handed. But the easiest way to achieve this quickly was apparently to "flop" the ENTIRE GAME. GameCube Twilight Princess is a mirror image of Wii Twilight Princess. Everything is reversed, turn left instead of right to get somewhere, etc.

Davíd said...

How does one "break" Dominion? There are certainly games where one player sees there is a best strategy with the cards available first and is able to get them and hold onto his strong position, and in about 1/3 of the games a player will get lucky to get their strategy off quickly enough that their win is pretty much guaranteed. That's certainly a flaw, but the games are short enough that you just play the next game which is generally much closer.

Davíd said...

Also, I knew all the Link stuff. So, uh, there.

DrHeimlich said...

Every time I have played Dominion, you can reveal everyone's deck at the end and the winner is always the player with the fewest special cards -- the one who most stuck to money and points. So I feel like the game doesn't reward actually trying to PLAY it. You should just stick with a basic program to maximize your chances to win.

Anonymous said...

Dominion's boring as hell.
The concept is cool, but the execution is terrible.
I should give Thunderstone a shot.

FKL

Sangediver said...

However I would argue that there are a few cards in the ridiculous amount of expansions that limit that strategy significantly.