Thursday, November 01, 2012

My Top 100 Movies -- 5-1

We've come at last to the end of my Top 100 Movies list, with my five very favorite movies.

5. Apollo 13. This is the best "based on a true story" film ever made, operating on many levels. Not only does the film strongly convey the sense of awe over the fact that this all actually happened, but it also keeps you in edge-of-your-seat suspense despite knowing exactly how it's going to end. The faithfulness in which the reality is recreated is staggering, right down to scenes actually shot on a KC-135A to create true weightlessness. Bridging the gap, in a way, between science fiction and historical drama, the film was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar in 1996. And its cast is exceptional -- Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris, and Kathleen Quinlan all make you feel every emotion of the situation with amazing immediacy and reality.

4. The Sixth Sense. Long before it was fashionable to crap all over M. Night Shayamalan (and long before he arguably deserved it), the writer-director amazed and entertained with this incredible film. I've raved about the film before, and so I won't rehash all that again. Suffice it to say, I think this film is far more than just its famous twist, a wonderful blending of effective horror and powerful drama, brought to life by a perfect cast.

3. Pleasantville. Several movies in my top 10 revolve around the theme of being truthful to yourself. In my view, no movie captures that better than Pleasantville. Sophisticated visual effects are used in a wonderful way to tell not an action-adventure, but a moving character drama. Once again, this is a film I've reviewed on the blog before, and I refer you back for full details. But once again, it's a perfect cocktail of the things that make me love a movie: a wonderful cast, wonderful writing, and a powerful message.

2. Memento. Christopher Nolan has directed many exceptional movies, but this one that first made many people take notice remains his best in my book. This film is a triumph of fantastic writing, cleverly using the device of the backwards narrative to put the audience in the same head space as the central character. It's also a triumph of directing and editing, for taking that script and bringing it to life with such clarity that you're never once confused about what's going on in the story. Nolan has worked with so many actors in multiple films that I find it a bit odd that he has never again used his three big players here; Guy Pearce is a wonderfully sympathetic hero (and narrates brilliantly -- not an easy thing); Joe Pantoliano and Carrie-Anne Moss play deliciously complex characters that can be sympathetic one moment and diabolical the next. I'm awed by how incredibly smart this movie is.

1. Back to the Future. Anyone who has been reading my blog for a while will not be surprised by my #1 film. I'm written of my love for Back to the Future not once but twice (unknowingly using the same post title both times). The film gets bonus points for the wondrous experience I had seeing it for the first time at age 9, but I'm sure it would be a top movie for me regardless. Tense, hilarious, thrilling, and touching, I think this movie has it all. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are a perfect comic duo, and the supporting cast is just as strong. Alan Silvestri's amazing score put him on the map as a film composer. I doubt I'll ever see a movie I like more.

So there you have it (and what, only nearly a year after I first started?), my Top 100 Movies. I hope you've had fun with my picks, and I hope you have even more fun putting your own list together.

2 comments:

Jared said...

Given your love of back to the future are you already planning a party on October 21, 2015?

DrHeimlich said...

I hadn't thought about it, actually. But it seems like a particularly good reason to have a party, doesn't it? :-)