Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Qui-rious

The first Cirque du Soleil production I ever heard of (from a friend who saw it and enthusiastically praised it) was actually one I never saw myself, Quidam. It was too late at the time for me to see the touring show before it left town, and ultimately my first in-person Cirque experience was Mystère, in Las Vegas. But this past week, Quidam returned to Denver for a brief engagement of a few days, and I got to see where it (sort of) all stared.

Being one of the older Cirque shows, Quidam is somewhat less inventive than some of the later shows that would follow. Its format is the same sort of loose narrative of shows like Mystère and La Nouba. It includes many routines similar to those that appear in other shows -- a routine with Diabolos, an aerial silk performance, comic interludes incorporating audience plants, and so forth. But familiar though it is, it's hardly boring. The acrobatic feats by the Cirque performers are still second to none.

Quidam features one of Cirque du Soleil's more interesting characters. The name of the show itself is shared by a bizarre headless character in bright neon colors, carrying an umbrella and a bowler hat. Many other characters are a bit more "stock" for Cirque shows, but the strange headless figure draws the eye whenever he/it steps on stage.

The show has one of the stronger musical soundtracks of any of the Cirque shows I've seen. It's another contribution by Cirque regular Benoît Jutras, but with a more rock-based set of instruments including saxophone, prominent electric guitar, and four-on-the-floor percussion.

Overall, I wouldn't say I was wowed by Quidam. Maybe you've seen too many Cirque shows if you start to be at all jaded by them. Still, it was entertaining, and I'm glad to have added it to my "collection."

No comments: