Saturday, March 02, 2013

Not a Game for the Thin-Skinned

If you've ever watched an installment of Survivor, you've probably seen a particular game the producers force the contestants to play whenever they want to stir up trouble among them. They ask everybody to secretly answer a bunch of provocative questions (like "which player is the whiniest?" or "which player is the most selfish?"), and then all the players must publicly guess who received the most votes in each example. Hurt feelings ensue (and in theory, audience enjoyment).

Somebody has taken the premise of this potentially mean-spirited game and turned it into a party board game called "Imaginiff..." Needless to say, you should take care with whom you decide to play this game. Plenty of games are "not meant to be taken seriously," but I find that usually refers to a high degree of random chance as opposed to a possibility of actually offending the players.

One of my least favorite games ever, Zombies!, has caused players to yell at each other in actual anger at the conclusion of the only two times I've ever played it. I will never play that game again. Needless to say, I felt some trepidation about the prospect of Imaginiff.

Fortunately, the questions asked in the game are a little bit more innocent. You get things like "Which of these 80s movies does [Player] think he is?" And I think it's hard to get too offended by being dubbed "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" rather than "Top Gun." Still, your group of regular players might be particularly thin-skinned. The point being: proceed with caution.

I had a fun enough time playing Imaginiff, but there are a decent number of other group party games that I prefer more (such as Time's Up and Telestrations). I wouldn't say no to another play, but I also wouldn't give it my strongest recommendation. I'd call it somewhere around a B, give or take a plus or minus depending on the group you're playing with.

No comments: