Monday, October 06, 2014

Expecting Too Much of a Girl

This past weekend, I went to see the new movie Gone Girl. It's the latest from director David Fincher, and based on a terrific book by Gillian Flynn, about a man who begins to look guilty of murder when his wife suddenly goes missing. Though I was entertained by the film, I was also slightly disappointed -- it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Part of it may be sky high expectations. I really enjoyed the original novel, and though I wasn't necessarily itching for it to become a movie, the news that David Fincher would be behind the camera got me interested. Fincher hasn't always scored with me -- I found Zodiac a bit dry, for example -- but he's a very skilled and thoughtful director who really puts a lot of effort and consideration into everything he does.

But part of it may also be that maybe I didn't really like the novel as much as I thought I did? Gone Girl was adapted for film by the book's own author, and it's a very faithful adaptation. And yet, where the novel's twists left me thrilled, the movie seemed to be playing things a bit too coy. Was there really not much to the novel behind its surprising plot? Thinking on it, I've decided no, it wasn't that. Instead, I've decided that the book (not surprisingly) did a better job of letting you inside the characters' heads. The pacing of the film also feels a bit off in places, particularly in a conclusion that goes on a bit too long. That's all straight from the book, but it feels a bit like Return of the King's notorious multiple endings as it unspools over 20 minutes.

Where the movie does excel, though, is in the performances. Getting most of the attention are stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, though I would praise the supporting actors most highly. Tyler Perry is surprisingly excellent as sleazy lawyer Tanner Bolt. He's cutthroat without being too oily or unlikeable, and quite funny too. Kim Dickens is equally good as Detective Boney. Her type of character is a fixture of countless films and television series, but it still feels fresh here. Carrie Coon is also strong as Nick's twin sister Margo, presenting a very believable sibling relationship. And Neil Patrick Harris serves up something slightly sinister as Desi Collings.

I suspect that those unfamiliar with the book will be more delighted by what the movie offers. I thought it worth a B+ (though honestly, almost just a B). Still, either on the page or in the theater, Gone Girl is a story you really ought to experience. If you can't make time for the 400+ pages, the two-and-a-half hours should do nicely.

No comments: