Wednesday, March 07, 2018

A Key Recommendation

I don't have a raft of stories to share from my Steamboat Springs vacation. We skied a bunch. I actually can do that now, unlike two years ago. We played plenty of board games, and I'll probably post some thoughts on them in the weeks to come.

But one story that certainly deserves sharing is our return trip to the Crooked Key. Our visit last year to Steamboat Springs' escape room was the first time any of us had done an one, and we loved it. It turns out that it may have spoiled us a bit for the escape rooms we did later, because the production values at Crooked Key are sky high by comparison. It costs more to go, but I have no reservations saying its totally worth it -- they take the money from the higher ticket price and they put it in the room.

Less than a month before this year's ski trip, Crooked Key installed a new room/game, themed around Edgar Allan Poe. The room is called Taphophobia -- the fear of being buried alive. With this room, Crooked Key outdid themselves. It was agreed by all that this was the best escape room we'd ever done... and for some of us, it wasn't even close.


Of course, I don't want to discuss any particulars that might spoil the experience for anyone who wants to go, but there are a few things I think I can safely mention. The room has a very strong sound component to it (and this is mentioned by the operator before you begin). You must listen to things almost as much as you look at them, and the soundscape is key in making progress.

There are no "locks from a hardware store" in the entire room! I've done my share of escape rooms with as many as a dozen locks. Some are word-based, some are number-based, some are directional, and some use keys -- and there is some sense of variety in that. But ultimately, the room distills down to a procession of locks to be opened. Not Taphophobia. There are legitimate puzzles to solve beyond "how do I get a 4 digit number out of this?" That's both clever and wonderful.


The room also did a great job of requiring teamwork. It wasn't just a matter of more than one mind all trying to crack a puzzle -- there were moments where more than one person had to physically work together to solve something. The better escape rooms I've done have had moments of this, though not all of them do. And here, the teamwork moments really were highlights of the experience. Again, clever and memorable design work.

I really can't praise the Crooked Key highly enough. Anyone who'd be reading this blog would love it, and should absolutely go there if they ever find themselves in Steamboat Springs. In fact, I can think if a few people here in Denver who are so keen on escape rooms that I might consider recommending a drive up to Steamboat for the express purpose of going there.


No comments: