Thursday, April 16, 2009

French Made

Not long ago, I saw the French film Amélie. (At least, that's the significantly abbreviated title by which "Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" is known in the U.S.) The narrative is a bit hard to encapsulate; the movie is almost more about a way of telling a story. But it essentially follows a young woman who tries to "do good" for people in the most playful ways possible.

Though the movie doesn't rise to any tremendous dramatic heights, it has an undeniable and infectious sense of joy about it. It's not anything that makes you think too deeply, but you have fun watching it, and a smile on your face when it ends. There's something oddly retro about the movie. It's childish in its spirit, plays like a bedtime storybook, and is the most chaste love story I've seen in years.

As the title character, Audrey Tautou makes the movie. For the love of cinema, if the only thing you've seen her in was the humdrum The Da Vinci Code (in which she was cast as a token French performer in a cast of Hollywood stars), see Amélie as soon as you possibly can. She makes you buy into fantasy of the film.

Ultimately, though, a movie this "cute" can probably only rate so high in my estimation. There's craftsmanship I can appreciate here, but nothing to make me say "wow" -- only to politely smile and say, "well, that sure was nice." Maybe my inner child just died a little more. All I know is, I found the movie very good, though not fantastic. I do rate it a B though, and give it my recommendation.

Having now dispensed with the grade, I do want to remark on one more negative aspect of the film that can't be held against it -- the translation.

My French is terrible. I had a sprinkling of it in junior high, and then three semesters in college (over a decade ago now... damn). I've had virtually no opportunities to use it since. I probably couldn't form a complete sentence of my own in French if I needed to. But listening to French, I still have the ability to pick out maybe every fifth word from a slowly-spoken sentence.

I give all this background so that you know how bad the translation of this film must have been for me to take any notice at all. Oh, the essence of every line was there, but it felt to me like as much as half the specific content was gone. In every scene, I'd hear words I'd recognize jumping out at my laboring brain, and not see them in the subtitles. It was as though text was expensive, and they'd decided to only pay for so much. I found it frustrating, as it seemed like some big piece of the flavor of the film, the particular patter and nuance of the dialogue, was being lost.

My opinion of the movie was not reduced by the translation, but I do have to wonder if I would have had a higher opinion of it had I been able to understand it in the original French. It also gave me pause regarding translations of foreign films in general. This is not the first time I've noticed less-than-accurate translation in a French film (Les Pacte des Loups, aka Brotherhood of the Wolf comes to mind). Are all films being translated from all languages with a similar lack of fidelity? What a disservice to a lot of great movies, if so.

In any case, that digression is over. Let me end with a brief restatement of the real point here. Amélie is a brisk and whimsical movie you should take a look at if you haven't already.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How interesting: I was thinking about the translation while reading the first part of your comment... until you came to mention it yourself.
I haven't seen Amélie in any other language than French, so I can't comment on the translation work.

But language IS a huge part of the film, so you're absolutely right in your assessment--maybe more than you think, in fact. I haven't seen it in a while, but off the top of my head, there are half a dozen moments where "what makes the scene" is really the text and/or the way it's delivered. And there's also the sequence where Amélie creates a "new" letter for the widow using old letters her husband mailed her: the whole thing depends on the voice of the husband (and variations in tone, as the letter is a veritable patchwork) as we hear him "read" the letter Amélie has constructed (complete with background sounds that switch from one sentence to the next).
But hey, at least you got to see it, and I'm happy.

I think the film is a visual treat, and I love the music. I like your calling it a bedtime story, which I think is quite accurate. How many of those do we get as adults? That we end up caring about?

FKL

Kathy said...

One of my big papers in college was a dissertation on the differences between a source work (the book "La Tosca", written in French) and the libretto of the opera based on it (Verdi's "Tosca", sung in Italian).

So every day for a couple of weeks, I would trundle into the gigantic main Boston Public Library building, go to the rare books room, hand over a vial of blood (just kidding, turned over my ID) and opened an ancient copy of the source book, my laptop computer, and started typing in French as quickly as I could. I made a full copy (the book was out of copyright, but the pages were too old and they wouldn't let me do any photocopies) and then I chose several key passages that are notably the same or notably different between the two versions.

Then I set about comparing something written in French to something written in Italian, using a brain that principally spoke English. I used a lot of Tylenol in those days. I eventually had to translate both sides into English because the language of the paper I was writing was English (obviously) and anyone reading it couldn't be expected to know French and Italian well enough to see the similarities and differences I was seeing in the texts.

Let me tell you, both of those languages are conceptually different enough from English that it is sometimes EXCEEDINGLY difficult to translate them into English that has the same "feel" to it. I mean, I tried, but I eventually gave up on that. I discussed it with my musicology professor and we decided to provide a word-by-word literal translation (and even that has its difficulties too minute to get into) in italics over the text in the original language.

So yes, it is REALLY frustrating to watch something whose source comes from a different language and get a translation of it that clearly doesn't capture the tone and nuance of the original, but the translation job is REALLY difficult. Almost impossible, just because of the fundamental differences between the two languages' structure and cultural background. I mean, I wasn't as qualified to do it as the people who do it for a living (five years of French and two of Italian hardly were a complete preparation) but it was enough to give me a taste of the difficulty of the task.

I'd even venture to say that if you aren't nearly fluent in the original language of whatever you're watching, you haven't *really* seen it. You've seen some sort of extension of it into an alternate universe that can give you a really good impression of it, but you don't have the same experience of it that a native speaker would.

And all that makes it more obvious why international politics are so difficult! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff, Kathy. I didn't know you spoke French! We'll have to "échanger quelques mots" next time I visit.

So yeah, good translation is very difficult to achieve. But the Dr. was saying that they were basically summing up the dialogue in the subtitles to Amélie, which is pretty bad. At least give us the full text, even though it might not have the same flavor as the original...

FKL

Jason said...

As someone who knows about six words of French, I had no problem with the translation. Ignorance truly is bliss.

(And Jean Reno was also in Da Vinci Code, so Audrey Tatou wasn't the only token French actor. And just like Tatou, if the only time you've seen Reno was in Da Vinci, you need to see The Professional/Leon.)

Aabh said...

I agree with Kathy; Translating into and out of another language is tough; Mostly it's cultural, though... We were watching a movie last night in Japanese (No subtitles or dub... we were roughing it) and we ran into a character whom said "it was then that I became a neck." This would translate to "I was fired." (As in, your head was cut off and all that was left was your neck... you became (only) a neck). If, however, you happened to know the word "kubi" (Neck), you might wonder why he said "Neck" and the subtitiles said "I was fired". I know that happens from time to time in movies going to and from Japanese... I can only make women slap me in French, though...

DrHeimlich said...

FKL -- I loved that scene you're talking about, with the stitched-together sounds representing the falsified letter Amélie created. Very inventive and effective.

To all -- It does seem like some of what we're talking about can be excused as idioms that don't translate from one language to the next. Of course, in basic language courses, you don't get too far into idioms beyond what they say in response to a sneeze, so it's possible that would explain a handful of the "untranslated words" that jumped out at me. Still, I think in this case, the translator also did the work of paraphraser.

In any case, I agree -- translation is hard.