Sunday, June 07, 2009

Thumbs Up

This afternoon, I went to see the newest Pixar feature, Up. It has many critics saying "they've done it again," but in my opinion, that's not quite accurate. I think that they've actually never done it as well as this; Up is the studio's best film to date.

Once again, Pixar demonstrates how much they "get it." They've made a great movie, and not just a great animated movie. This is their most emotional story yet. In the first 15 minutes, there's an absolutely perfect montage of the long life of main character Carl. With no dialogue (but an amazing score by Michael Giacchino), it takes us through moments of great joy and sadness, and each emotion is genuine and profound.

The movie never missteps from there. The characters in the small cast are all brilliantly realized. Outstanding vocal performances from Ed Asner, Christopher Plummer, and others blend perfectly with yet another display of powerhouse animation from Pixar. And it just looks beautiful from top to bottom. The use of color is striking, and the way images are framed makes moment after moment a real work of art unto itself. Everything is perfect right down to the end credits, which show photos in a "memories" album, each somehow evocative of the credit being displayed.

I could keep on gushing for a while, but the point is really simple: Up is the best movie of year so far, and probably of the last couple too. I rate it an enthusiastic A, and encourage everyone to see it.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I think this little web cartoon sums up how I feel about Pixar movies in general.

I really want to see this but I'm waiting for the "kid-friendly" showing to take B to so I don't have to stress about making sure she doesn't make noise in the theater. If I can't make that then it will have to wait for Netflix, but I'm hoping to not have to wait.

Jared said...

3D or not 3D? My sister-in-law may take my 3 year old today to see it. Does the 3D add to the movie or take away from it?

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I thought the beginning montage was so depressing it dragged me down for the rest of the film. it certainly established the motivations and the desperate need to fulfil his quest, but every time they showed that picture of Ellie I got really sad.

it's not as bad as it sounds, because Disney/Pixar is pretty good at wailing on you with the "cry NOW!" hammer they swing at you with every film they make. oh you know it's there, and you can't do a thing about it. I think this time I was hit with it too much.

we saw the 3d version mostly because it's an experience you cannot get at home, and if you are paying for the theatre you might as well pay a bit more to get something unique, right? but honestly I don't think it matters. probably best for scale (they looked like they were really high!)

if you have a Disney Store near you, DO NOT go into it to see the merchandise before you see the movie. - SPOILERS? - if you've seen the movie, RUN there and check out the talking dog plushies. hilarious perfect merchandising! Alpha dog had me laughing harder than I've laughed in a theatre in a long time.

the mole

Anonymous said...

SQUIRREL!!!

DrHeimlich said...

Jared -- I did not see it in 3D myself. No real comment other than to say nothing caught my attention as an overtly "3D moment." Which is as it should be.

Mole -- you hit on one of the things I liked most about the film. Yes, at times it WAS really depressing. The emotion in the film was powerful and genuine, both when things were upbeat and when they were sad.