Sunday, June 28, 2009

What Happened in Vegas

I've returned from Las Vegas, completely exhausted. And sadly, without any particularly good tales to tell. I had a great time. The work-related aspects of the trip actually brought their share of fun as well. Plus, I found some time for some poker, and going to see Mystère once again (still fantastic). But I've only gathered a small collection of moments worth mentioning:

I hit four of a kind twice while playing poker this trip. It was delicious.

I played at a table with, hands down, the worst poker player I've ever personally sat with. He came in and lost something like $150 in the span of 15 minutes. Needless to say, everyone in the table swooped in for the dead money after we all saw the hand where he cold-called a raise and re-raise before the flop with an unsuited Q-5. And cold-called a raise after the flop having hit absolutely nothing.

And finally, a humorous little blackjack experience this morning, that I picked up in my hour before I had to leave for the airport -- the only time I played anything but poker all weekend. Someone came up to sit on my right and throws his "basic strategy" mini-pamphlet right there on the table in front of him, to which both the dealer and pit boss smiled and wished him that it would help. Five minutes later, a completely different player (who didn't know the first) came up to sit on my left, and pulls out the exact same mini-pamphlet.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm guessing that was a low-stakes hold-em table you were at with the idiot? It's easy to lose $150 in 15 minutes at some tables :)

DrHeimlich said...

Yes, it was low stakes hold 'em. Had the stakes been even slightly higher, I think he could have lost that much in one HAND.