Friday, July 30, 2010

Calling Orville Redenbacher

My last game night with my friends somehow got a bit sidetracked at one point when this talk of a net video came up, in which people ring popcorn kernels with a few cell phones, call the phones, and pop the kernels:



Fake, by the way. And yet, we kind of felt obligated to try it... or at least were really pushed into trying it by one or two people present.

I wasn't really that reluctant a participant, but I think I was drawn to the experiment for an entirely different reason. When you stop and think about the amount of technology you're bringing to bear in one room to try this, it's kind of preposterous. Basically, you need six phones -- three to put on the table, and three to call the phones on the table. Plus, if you want to document your experiment, you might want a seventh phone to record video with.

The thing is, we had all this easily right there in the room. And it's not like there was an epic crowd playing games that night. Ten or fifteen years ago, you couldn't dream of even attempting something like this.

I guess what I'm saying is that we may not have flying cars yet, but we pretty much are living in The Future. A future where I bitch about my phone -- a computer I carry around in my pocket -- sometimes being slow at web surfing when it's still several times faster than by home computer was (by dial-up!) little more than a decade ago.

3 comments:

CK said...

Um, no. Check your Snopes.

Unknown said...

So did you edit your initial post or did CK not bother to actually read it?

Also, you kids and your phones may THINK you're living in the future, but MY future has flying cars, not crappy phone/computer/time wasting thingies. :oP

Sangediver said...

Snarky, Its the latter. The Dr knew it was fake (and not just because we tried it).

As cool as flying cars would be for some of us, I have to say I'm glad we don't. Have you seen the average driver on a regular road?

BTW, I'm trying this next game night...Looks tasty!