Saturday, October 16, 2010

E.T. Phone Denver

This week, I received my mail-in ballot for the upcoming election. This morning, I sat down to dutifully research the Colorado-specific issues enough to make an informed decision. It was pretty smooth sailing, until I got to the City and County of Denver's "Initiated Ordinance 300":

Shall the voters for the City and County of Denver adopt an Initiated Ordinance to require the creation of an extraterrestrial affairs commission to help ensure the health, safety, and cultural awareness of Denver residents and visitors in relation to potential encounters or interactions with extraterrestrial intelligent beings or their vehicles, and fund such commission from grants, gifts, and donations?

I can't be reading this one correctly, I kept thinking. But no, it's exactly what it looks like: setting up a commission to prepare Denver for an encounter with an alien (from space, not another country) and/or its abandoned spaceship.

Is Denver being punked?

Don't get me wrong. I believe "E.T." is out there somewhere. The Drake equation and all that. But coming to Denver, Colorado in the immediate future? I think someone is seriously overestimating the sway of our tourism bureau.

1 comment:

Sangediver said...

My question is, "What do they know that they haven't shared with us yet?"