Sunday, October 24, 2010

Training Film

I missed it when it was in theaters earlier this year, but the buzz was high enough about How to Train Your Dragon that I decided to catch up with it on DVD. With the exception of Toy Story 3, it's pretty much the best reviewed movie of the year.

Having now seen it, I think I see why. It is not the exceptional film that Toy Story 3 was. But it's a movie I think would be hard not to like on some level. There is a heart at the core of the film, of a son trying to prove himself to his father while simultaneously trying to find his own way. He's a gawky and likable character too, effectively voiced by Jay Baruchel -- this is the type of role that's his bread and butter in live action, so why not in animation?

There are also visceral thrills to the film as well. The flight sequences are all exhilarating, infused with a true sense of wonder and fun. (And maybe vertigo too, if you're susceptible to that sort of thing. I imagine it was one film that really was worthwhile in 3D.)

But then there's a running subplot of a budding romance that isn't quite so interesting. There are battle scenes filled with fire and action and menacing creatures that seem too much to me for most young children. And there's a weird detail I would have liked to have ignored, but is forced in your ears for the entire film: in this Viking village -- that's Scandinavia, folks -- all the adults seem to speak with Scottish accents. And weirder still, their children have no accents at all.

Still, while the details might not all be perfect, the movie's heart is in the right place. Craig Ferguson voices a great character used for effective comic relief. The backbone of the story is strong. And it is fun, overall. I rate it a B-.

No comments: