Tuesday, December 28, 2010

You (Probably) Don't Know Jack

I recently received a gift from my friend FKL, both nice and unexpected. (Both qualities make for the best kind of gift.) It was a simple game called "Mr. Jack Pocket." Being meant just for two players, it took me a few weeks to get around to trying it out, but I've now done so, and I definitely enjoyed it.

The best comparison I think I can come up with is that the game is a bit like Mastermind, that old more-puzzle-than-game activity where one player tries to guess information hidden by the other. But Mr. Jack Pocket turns it into an actual game by giving the "secret holder" actions he can take to try and thwart the "guesser's" effort to win.

One player has a secret identity that can be one of nine characters. The other player uses three detectives to try and eliminate possible identities until only one remains. If the criminal can remain hidden for enough turns, he wins the game. If exposed, the detective wins.

The game is incredibly fast to play, taking only a minute or two to explain to a first time player, and only about 5 to 20 minutes to play. This makes it a perfect "waiting for more people to show up to game night" game.

I also feel that it's thrown a challenge my way. In the games I've played so far, the detective player has always won. I don't think it's unwinnable for the criminal, but it certainly feels quite difficult to me. I imagine there are strategies and tactics you need to learn to play the villain effectively; I'm interested in seeing those surface, and ultimately seeing the villain triumph.

In any case, it's a good addition to my limited collection of two player games. It was a nice gift for me, and might make one for a gamer in your life. (Including yourself.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it!
And I've only played it a few times myself so far, but I haven't been able to win as Jack either.
It's tough! But like you said, therein lies the challenge...

FKL