Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sorkin Things Out

Even though I didn't love The Social Network with the same enthusiasm I felt for some of writer Aaron Sorkin's past work (particularly Sports Night and The West Wing), the film did not in any way diminish my eager interest in seeing his next project. For nearly a year now, there's been a rumor that he's been putting together another TV series, and I've been waiting impatiently for word to break.

Now it has. And "it's not TV, it's HBO." HBO has ordered a pilot episode of this new series. They're very choosy about such things, so unless the pilot were to somehow turn out atrocious, you can bet the show will get a one season order.

If the cunning HBO programming department evenly spaces Sorkin's new show, Game of Thrones, Treme, and True Blood, they'll probably get me to maintain a year-round subscription to the network. (Right now, I do what so many others do and order the pay channel for the 10-13 weeks it takes to watch a season of whatever-it-is, before promptly canceling.)

Oh, and the show will apparently be about a cable news pundit show, as inspired by Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews. But like that matters. I'd tune in for Aaron Sorkin's new "people reading the phone book (very quickly, while they walk)" show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very clever entry title.

And I can't wait for the new show!
It's about time we had new Sorkin material on the air.

FKL