Friday, January 07, 2011

2010 in Review -- Movies

Now that I've posted a couple reviews on a few other key films of last year, I can offer up my summary of 2010 movies. Like 2009, it was a pretty big movie watching year for me -- I saw 162 movies in all.

Netflix is still the main reason that tally is rather high. Well, it seems high to me... I'm guessing the average person doesn't anywhere close to that many movies in a year. In any case, only 29 of the movies I saw were actually out at a theater, down a bit from the year before.

As for the movies I saw that were actually released in 2010, here are my picks for the Top 10. Rather than re-expound on my reasons for liking them, I'll just include links to my original reviews.

1. Toy Story 3
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1
3. Despicable Me
4. Date Night
5. Kick-Ass
6. Inception
7. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
8. The Social Network
9. The Kids Are All Right
10. Tangled

I have yet to see a fair amount of the "Award bait" that is likely to be nominated for an Oscar, so it's possible this list will be shaken up a bit. But I think you get the gist. The two types of movies that apparently scored best with me last year were animated movies and fun, popcorn ass-kicking movies that basically strove to do one thing and do it well.

True Grit just missed the list, but there's a bit of a dropoff after that; I wouldn't need more space to name all the films that I thought were truly worthwhile last year.

No comments: