Monday, March 21, 2011

Computer Help Wanted

I'm ticked.

I play by the rules. I don't take my browser to lots of strange web sites. I don't open e-mail attachments from people I don't know. I have an anti-virus software installed.

But a few months back, my laptop still managed to pick up some kind of virus which the anti-virus software was unable to eradicate. It seemed to be interfering with my ability to use the Backup utility to copy my hard drive (though I suppose maybe that's just as well, since I'd be copying a virus too). It also was causing havoc in my browser, causing about a third of the pages I'd surf to (including all Google search results) to forward automatically to some OTHER strange page I hadn't asked for. I didn't actually have a Windows disk, so I'd put off doing the "take off and nuke the site from orbit" solution.

Last night, I'm typing away on the laptop, and I see a notice pop up on the bottom right of the screen. Something from my anti-virus software. Something with a red banner. But before I could read it---- zap! The computer just shuts off. And when I went to reboot? Nothing. The laptop manufacturer's logo, followed by a blinking cursor. I've tried all the "hold this button" suggestions offered by that startup screen, as well as trying to start Windows in Safe Mode. Nothing. Blinking cursor.

I can get into the BIOS, and run a diagnostic that says my RAM and hard drive are still intact. I restore default boot settings.... but still nothing. Blinking cursor.

I wasn't treating my laptop like a filthy trollop. Why did it go out and catch a disease like one?!

And more importantly, what the hell do I do now that my computer won't even start up? Is it just a paperweight now?

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Don't know about saving any of your data or settings, but you should be able to do a clean install of Windows. What version of Windows, and do you have install disks of that version of Windows? Can you still read the product key off the sticker that should be somewhere on your computer?

Did you make a recovery disk at any earlier point of your computer's working history, prior to the virus?

DrHeimlich said...

Fairly certain is was a version of Windows Vista, though I have no install disks for that. (Bought the computer from a mutual friend. :-) ) But you are right about the product key. It is still just barely readable on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. So if I can find someone with a Vista disk...

I did run the full backup utility about two or three months back. Would be better than nothing, obviously.

Kathy said...

Write your product key down now, since you can still read it. Those stickers tend to discolor and it is difficult (though not impossible) to work with the laptop vendor/Microsoft to get a replacement product key if you can't read that sticker.

Roland Deschain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roland Deschain said...

I can help you with the Windows Vista disk and such if you need it. ;) Also, it's likely that I could image your hard drive to my Mac to save most of your files (if you're so inclined) and clean everything that way.

I've learned how to do this from having to do it for my mom a few times. Lemme know.

Darrell said...

Sounds like Roland's got your back. But another, less elegant solution is to create a "boot disk" USB stick and boot off of that. It should at least get your computer into Widows, so you can work from there.

Cush1978 said...

This is a bootable rescue CD designed to solve problems precisely like the one you're having. Of course you'll need to get someone to burn the ISO for you, but aside from that, it's worth a shot before wiping out your HDD.

Anonymous said...

And once you're back up and running, I strongly suggest running Spybot-Search & Destroy a couple of times a month.
(The website redirection problem you mention sounds a lot like spyware I eradicate from my computers on a regular basis.)

Hang in there!

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and offers to help. Some of you will probably be hearing from me in the not too distant future. :-)

Unknown said...

If you need a hand, I'll be around this weekend and I'm more than willing to stop by and see what I can do. Let me know.