Thursday, March 31, 2011

End of an Era

This March is decidedly not going "out like a lamb."

Today, Sony Online Entertainment closed its Denver office. (And its Tucson and Seattle offices too.) This is the company I left at the end of last year. I only wish I could say my departure meant this development doesn't affect me personally.

A lot of my good friends were still there at SOE-Denver. Some of them I'd worked with for years. A few, who came there like me from Decipher, I'd worked with for literally more than a decade. Even the tiny handful of SOE-Denver employees who are keeping a job in this massive layoff will soon be relocating to San Diego for that job, so there's really no level on which this this isn't awful.

All I can do is send my best wishes to my abruptly jobless friends, and hope that everyone lands back on their feet as quickly as possible.

The end of the fiscal year sucks.

4 comments:

Major Rakal said...

Holy crap, I just heard about this a few minutes ago (just after I sent you an email, DrHeimlich). My sympathy and best wishes to all the newly jobless, some of whom I also worked with at Decipher. (Coincidentally, I was laid off today, too, but I've known it was coming for some time and was prepared for it.)

Anonymous said...

as a fellow "Jobless" I certainly can empathize here, especially since I knew a bunch of those people, too (back in the 'ole VA days...) I offer my best wished to them as well.

the mole

Sangediver said...

Wow, that totally sooks. BTW, way to pull a professional Matrix bullet dodge. :-P

I shall now dub thee "Professional Neo".

Anonymous said...

Well said, Sangediver...

An yeah, I also know a bunch of them from my Decipher days (a lifetime ago!).
Best of luck to everyone.

FKL