Monday, March 14, 2011

Know Your Audience?

There's a Borders bookstore less than 5 minutes from my house that's going out of business. (As are many Borders bookstores all over the country.) The entire stock is being discounted and sold off, prices dropping more and more leading up to the closing. But even with things only in the 30 and 40% off range right now, the store is looking pretty picked thin. Walking through the half-empty store pointed out a question I've always asked myself:

Who reads political books?

I couldn't help but notice the huge stacks of many different political books all over the place. At least 4 different biographies about Barack Obama. Several more books about his accomplishments (or mistakes, depending on one's leanings) since taking office. Dozens and dozens of copies of George W. Bush's autobiography. At least five different books by Glenn Beck.

I've always wondered, who is reading this stuff? I don't need to read any lengthy validation of my own political viewpoints. And while I try to keep aware of points raised by prominent politicians with opposing viewpoints, I certainly don't want to dedicate hours and hours of my time to read their screed at length. And while I'm sure that I differ from "the average person" in all sorts of ways, I don't imagine this general attitude to be one. So who the hell is reading these books?

Looking at the selection leftover in the half-empty, going-out-of-business bookstore, the answer appears to be: no one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, certainly not me.

I do want to read a biography of Lincoln and another of Eisenhower, but that's about as close as I'm getting to that stuff.

FKL

Anonymous said...

I suggest reading the only biography of Lincoln that matters: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.