Monday, July 04, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge -- Day 30

Before I got sidetracked with a week of vacation stories, I was just one entry away from completing the "30 Day Song Challenge." So, among the many things I've now piled up to write about, I think that deserves priority consideration.

Day 30: Your favorite song at this time last year.

Here we are, the end of the line. About this time last year, I was fairly obsessed with "The Treme Song" by John Boutté, having discovered the song from its use as the opening theme to the HBO series Treme. But the trouble is, I've found the second season of the show plodding and boring compared to the first, and that's probably tainted my opinion of the song a bit.

So instead, I'll end this challenge as I began it, by looking to Glee, and whatever recent track from the show I was playing incessantly in the months after season 1. I'd have to go with "The Safety Dance":



Besides the fact that I liked the original version of this song, there was a lot about this appearance in this episode that put it over the top. First of all, holy crap! Kevin McHale can dance! Second, this episode was directed by Joss Whedon! Third, how much joy (and then sorrow) do you feel for Artie in this sequence, even though you know from the moment is starts that it's all just a flight of imagination? (And why? Revisit points one and two.) A high point for Glee... that unfortunately was only matched a handful of times in the recently completed season 2.

No comments: