Saturday, September 03, 2011

A Measure Response

It's that time of year again, the time when Terry Brooks publishes his latest novel. This year, it's the second and concluding volume of the Legends of Shannara series, The Measure of the Magic. This two-part series is part of a larger work (begun in Genesis of Shannara), connecting a near-future Earth apocalypse with the world of his classic Shannara books.

When I commented on the first book of this pair, Bearers of the Black Staff, I noted that it made too much use of existing Terry Brooks tropes, but did manage to twist them enough in places that my overall impression was good. This second book is absolutely in keeping with the first.

In terms of his plotting and character development, Brooks is breaking absolutely no new ground in this book. Characters continue to be stock types he's used in past series. The plot largely follows a predictable course, weaving in many Brooks conventions. The writing is brisk and easy to read, but it isn't among Brooks' best compositions.

Still, the book did leave me satisfied overall, because Brooks did spice his meal with a few different elements. This may be the darkest pair of books he's ever written. The stakes are high; more characters die than in a usual Terry Brooks novel (and many of those deaths are more grisly than is typical for him). And then, in the final chapters, there are a few interesting surprises. They don't feel out of place, but I wasn't expecting them from a book that had otherwise followed an established formula.

I suppose it might sound like I'm damning the book with faint praise, but I really would rate it a B+ overall. It's just that Terry Brooks is passing into a different category for me. Once, he was probably my favorite writer. I still think he does what he does very well. But I also have started to look on his annual releases as a sort of "comfort food," not expecting as much as I used to from them (and not really getting it, either). If you've liked his other books, I'm certain you'll like this one. If you aren't a fan already, I'd recommend starting elsewhere for your first Terry Brooks experience (with either Ilse Witch or The Scions of Shannara).

No comments: