Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Something's Not Clicking

Judging by their record sales, you've probably never heard of The Click Five. Several years ago, their debut album got a short write-up in Entertainment Weekly (which is how I heard about them). Their whole "next big thing" prediction didn't pan out, though. That first album sold alright, but the follow-up sank like a stone.

Now they're back with a third effort, TCV. And apparently, confidence here in the U.S. was quite low. The album has been available in Japan (where I gather they have a better fan base) for over a year, and was only finally released here, almost as an afterthought. After two good albums, I was ready for more of their fun power-pop sound, catchy licks, and hummable tunes.

Unfortunately, this album turned out to be their weakest effort. It starts off strong with three or four great songs in a row, led off by one of their earwigiest songs ever, "I Quit! I Quit! I Quit!" But then comes the "slow section" of the album. Many albums do this "take it down a notch" thing in the middle, but the last two Click Five albums plowed right around the convention. This time, they not only get slow, but they even get a little bit country on "Good As Gold." Boo.

The album never really recovers from there. The last track, "The World Comes Crawlin' Back" isn't bad, but before you get there, the music gets increasingly cheesy. I know that's the risk of the power-pop formula, but I thought The Click Five had managed to avoid it on their first two albums. From the Tom Petty-lite "Dancin' After Midnight" to the snooze-fest "Love Time Space," the album just doesn't come together as I'd hoped.

I'll still listen to those handful of early tracks that I liked, but the album as a whole was a disappointment. I grade it a C+ overall. If you aren't already a fan of the band, I don't imagine this album winning you over.

No comments: