Saturday, November 19, 2011

Down to Chinatown

Let me pick up my San Francisco adventure where I left off. That evening, we decided to visit Chinatown. San Francisco is said to have the largest Chinatown district in the U.S., and having been there now, I believe it. It runs at least 10 blocks in one direction and five in the other, and is crammed full with enough stuff that would seem crowded in twice the space. The roads are suddenly narrower, the buildings smaller. On one side of the street, you're in San Francisco; on the other, you're in what feels like another place entirely.

Of course, you have to sample some food when you go to Chinatown, and I was given the recommendation to check out the House of Nanking. It's rated a top 10 area restaurant in many guidebooks, and is known for its sesame chicken. I like sesame chicken. Let's do it! The food was indeed pretty good, though also rather salty. I didn't mind, but your mileage may vary.

If you're a souvenir hound, Chinatown is definitely a place you should visit if you go to San Francisco. Or maybe not; it could be very dangerous for you. I was tempted to pick up a number of things, though none quite said "perfect" enough for me to give in. But whether you collect fountains or bobbleheads, weapons or playing cards, there's something in Chinatown for you.

Walking out of Chinatown, we also came upon what for my money is the strangest street in San Francisco. Now, perhaps you've heard of Lombard Street, which has one block billed as the "crookedest street" in the city. (And we drove that later on in the trip.) But cool as that is, I think it had nothing on this bit of weirdness... and sadly I think only an aerial photo could really do it justice.


This tunnel, maybe two or three blocks long, continues the road on the other side. That road above it? Not perpendicular. It's a dead end of another road on top of this one. Strangest bit of traffic layout I've ever seen.

And with that, we came to the end of a fun, full day. With two more full days to come.

No comments: