Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Grading the New Class, Part 2

A few weeks ago, I fired off some quick thoughts about the new TV series I've sampled this season. Since then, a few more have debuted, so I felt the need for an update:

Once Upon a Time -- One of two fairy tale-themed shows to premiere this season, and of the two, the one that got markedly better ratings and seems certain to last at least a full season. It's also the more boring of the two. I watched the first episode and was fairly unimpressed. I'd originally decided to give it one more try, but when the following Sunday rolled around, it came up against the DVR train wreck that is Sunday night. I decided not to bother, and I haven't really felt that I missed anything.

Grimm -- Only one episode of this darker fairy tale series has aired, but it put out a similar vibe to Kolchak or The X-Files. I wasn't blown away, but I did see a little promise here. I'll probably give this one another chance or two. I'm not sure whether I'm hoping for it to find its feet so I can keep watching it, or hoping for it to come unraveled so that's one less show I feel compelled to watch.

American Horror Story -- This is the latest series from Glee creator Ryan Murphy. He also created Nip/Tuck, so the totally dark and twisted tone of American Horror Story shouldn't be a total surprise. The series seemed most like Twin Peaks to me at first blush, with weird piled on top of weird and served with a side of weird. Having watched Glee, I assumed immediately that the writers didn't really have any idea where any of it was heading. On the one hand, that left me a bit concerned that none of this weirdness would ever come together or pay off. But on the other hand... I just really liked the demented tone of that first episode. As more episodes have aired, the tone has continued consistently. And a few pieces of the weirdness have been explained... or at least been elaborated on. So in all, I've been pleasantly surprised by this new show. It's definitely my favorite of the new TV season.

Coming up on Sunday (why are they all on Sunday?!) is the premiere of Hell on Wheels on AMC, which seems to be putting out a Deadwood kind of vibe in its promos during The Walking Dead. That's enough to get my interest, so I expect I'll be checking that out as well. Of course, if I'm expecting Deadwood quality, I'll probably be disappointed. We'll see.

No comments: