Sunday, February 05, 2012

A Bowl of Quips

Football fans got to enjoy a close-scoring Super Bowl this year. I think that means it was good or something... I don't really know. Or care. I played board games and watched the commercials. Some random thoughts on what I saw:

If vampires weren't played out before, they must be now after showing up in an Audi commercial. And by the way, I hate-hate-HATE when somebody with blinding headlights like that gets behind me on the road. I don't want to buy that car, I want to run anyone off the road who does.

Elton John as evil king of Pepsi made me laugh.

I think if it were actually that easy to peel the shell off an M&M, they'd replace Oreos as the ultimate play-with-your-food food. Get on that, someone!

The apocalyptic commercial left me remembering Twinkies and Barry Manilow more than... what truck was being advertised again?

Did anyone really believe the "unrated content" on GoDaddy's web site would include the implied nudity?

I understand the board game Battleship doesn't have enough "plot" to base a movie around, but seriously, does that movie have anything to do with the game? I think it would have been just as accurate to name the movie Candy Land.

GE wants you to know they're the power behind Budweiser. GE: We Bring Crap Beer to Life.

The TaxAct "gotta pee" commercial was funny, but in that context, the slogan telling you to go to their web site and "feel the free" seems like they're saying "our web site will pee on you."

Mos Eisley patron is right. Dog funnier than Vader.

I wanted to see that polar bear actually open that bottle of Coke after all that fumbling around.

Half that commercial for The Phantom Menace was spent showing clips from other Star Wars movies.

Comic book movie ads? Women in lingerie? Who the hell do they think watches the Super Bowl?!

Singing head on back tentacle wins creepiest ad of the year. And that's even with E-Trade still doing the talking babies.

Dear NFL fantasy game people: one million bucks isn't what it used to be.

Clint Eastwood wants you to support Detroit. And get off his lawn.

I don't think I want to buy a Toyota, but I could certainly see picking up some of their other "reinvented" products.

As fun as it was to see John Stamos get viciously head-butted, there are so many other celebrities I'd rather have seen in that commercial.

Jay Leno's joke-ruining expertise is brought to an otherwise killer Jerry Seinfeld ad.

Why is Budweiser campaigning so hard against prohibition? Do they think it's coming back?

The Matthew Broderick commercial was awesome. The full two minute version on line is better still. I want to be able to remember what it's actually for, but nope, it's just the ad for "as much Ferris Bueller 2 as could possibly be good."

MetLife unites cartoon characters from across several studios. Cool.

Football games are so long!

If only "Weego" would fetch good beer.

So, not only am I unconvinced of the necessity for a phone with a "pen," that phone looks way too big to be comfortable in any pocket.

Does it even count that you touched the Lombardi trophy if you were wearing gloves?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(Yes, the Honda ad with Ferris was very cool...)

So what games did you play during the game? I only got to play one (and then had to do other things): Core Worlds. It's a very fun space-themed deck-building game. (Everything Eminent Domain was trying to be, really.)
Give it a shot!

FKL