Thursday, February 16, 2012

Winning Odds

I have a new candidate for the film of 2011 I wish would win the Oscar for Best Picture. Sadly, it's not even nominated in the category.

Last weekend, I watched 50/50, the film about a young man (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) diagnosed with a rare spinal cancer, and his best friend (Seth Rogen) who supports him through his treatment. I heard quite a bit about the film when actors were making the rounds promoting its theatrical run. Seth Rogen in particular made it clear in interviews that the humor of the situation was something he thought had been overlooked in other films, and that's what made this "cancer movie" stand out.

And it's true, 50/50 is a really funny movie. Not laugh riot, but it makes you smile a lot. It also makes you cry. The subject of cancer is handled with tremendous honesty and powerful emotion. The film really explores all aspects of the subject, not just focusing on the main character's diagnosis, but on what it does to his friend, his girlfriend, his mother, and more. Yes, there is humor in the situation, but I think the film's real triumph is the other emotions it conveys -- just how scary the situation is, and how helpless it makes everyone feel.

I liked the movie so much, in fact, that it has made its way onto my top 100 list. And that's going to cause a little wrinkle next time I pick up with my countdown. But for the moment, the takeaway is that I give 50/50 an enthusiastic A. It's the best 2011 movie I've seen.

No comments: