Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Authentic Rock Band Experience

Lately, I've branched out with my Rock Band playing, and have started to mess around with the online play. That's turned out to be a whole new form of obsession, but that's not really the point of tonight's tale.

In the course of playing the game online, I've had quite a few random strangers from who-knows-where offer to become a "Friend" of mine on the Playstation Network. And what the heck -- if I happen to play with someone online who is pretty good at the game, why NOT try to play with them again some time?

So, I found this quality drummer a few nights ago. And unlike the other people I've met online (who are pretty passive), this guy's always pinging me with chat requests, always seems to be on no matter what time I'm on. It's not quite so annoying (yet) so as to, shall we say, "unfriend" the guy, but it was kinda weird. I was starting to wonder just a little what this guy must be like.

Well, last night, I get this chat invite from him, so I log on and figure, what the heck?

I see this giant Bud Light can appear on my television screen. Down in a window in the corner, I see the "Lemmings" icon I've chosen to represent me. I'd never used the chat before, but ah! I get it! This guy has taken this beer can picture to represent him.

But no... suddenly the beer can starts to pull away. And this weird voice drones:

"You want this, don't you?"

Like Stoner Emperor Palpatine.

The guy has his PSEye camera plugged in, and now the Bud falls out of view, and I behold the absolute cliche of what every U.S. Congressman seems to think video game players are like. Bare white walls. Dirty clothes and empty pizza boxes everywhere.

I must be imagining that I'm seeing bong smoke in the air -- the resolution on these cameras isn't really that good.

The guy brags for a while about how good he is at Rock Band, how he's already drunk and baked, and how he really doesn't do anything but sit around and play games all day.

I back slowly out of the chat room.

Yikes.

5 comments:

Jared said...

Did you un-friend him?

Kathy said...

Ha! Try playing an MMO as a girl, especially if it has built-in voice chat. You'll meet plenty more guys like that/just as strange in other ways. Truuuust me. :)

DrHeimlich said...

I haven't "unfriended" him yet. But I really probably should.

And I TOTALLY believe that, Kathy.

Anonymous said...

There's actually a voice changer for PS3 chat, Kathy. Maybe it'll make me sound like a hot chick. :P

Unknown said...

Consider yourself lucky he didn't decide to appear on your giant screen with his... uh... drumstick hanging out.

Maybe he's saving that until he knows you better.