Saturday, November 04, 2006

Block the Vote

Colorado has a freakin' huge list of amendments and initiatives on the ballot this election, so I decided that the lines to vote on Tuesday will be unbearable. Besides, I don't want to be standing in line during what could be valuable Guitar Hero II time on its release date, right?

So I went to vote early a couple mornings ago. It was a snap. I arrived at the license plate branch as it opened on Thursday morning. There were only two other people waiting with me. All of us went right in, got our ballots and off we went.

I had a very strange sensation come over me as I was doing it, though. One of the people waiting with me for the place to open was a nice enough woman in her 40s. We only exchanged a couple of words -- it's not like we had a meaningful conversation, or that she gave me any indication of her personality or opinions. And yet, for a reason I can't explain, I had the overwhelming sensation that I was there "canceling out" her vote by voting exactly the opposite from her on each issue. I have nothing to back this up at all, but I felt a sense of certainty that I have rarely known.

Maybe it's just that I'm trying to shore up my psyche against the blow of watching the general population vote for things I believe to be patently stupid, if not morally reprehensible. That's the way I've felt pretty much every other time I've voted. Oh well, this Tuesday, I can bury myself in my new Guitar Hero II and try to ignore any potentially depressing results.

3 comments:

Shocho said...

Thinking of votes cancelling each other makes people not vote. It's not just the votes that are in excess on the winning side that count. They all count. I know what I'm saying is obvious, but I have to say it anyway.

It's voting machine fraud that makes voting irrelevant, not voting.

GiromiDe said...

The bright side to all of these regardless of one's politics is that no more campaign ads will be flooding televisions on Wednesday.

The ads are pretty nasty in Illinois. What I've gathered is that the Democrats burn puppies alive and the Republicans strangle kittens. How is Colorado?

DavĂ­d said...

Your experience is completely the opposite of my early voting experience. I arrived about the time the early voting polls opened, there were already about a dozen people in line in front of me. The line moved very slowly, and only one of the poll workers really knew what she was doing.

Hopefully, things will be worked out by tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.