Saturday, November 25, 2006

Sunday Mass

After putting up with the no-good pancakes and other breakfast offerings of the hotel last weekend, I decided to quest in search of the "real thing," and found an IHOP nearby. It was the last morning of my trip, and a Sunday, so the place was pretty busy. Still, it didn't take long to just get a table for one.

When they start to show me the way to the table, I get asked a question I would never have expected to be asked at an IHOP: "Is it alright if you're on the second floor?"

Second floor? A two story IHOP? Sure enough, they take me up a flight of stairs (after asking me first if I'd prefer to use the elevator instead!) and up to a second floor.

Now, you're all probably aware of how much IHOPs are shaped like little churches -- especially the older, blue-roofed ones. I think some stand-up comedian (Brian Regan?) did a whole bit about worshipping at the cathedral of pancakes. Well, I was basically sitting in the steeple. You could easily see the slope of the roof in this strange loft of a second floor. All that was missing was the stained-glass window.

Particularly strange, it being a Sunday morning.

Despite the strangeness, though, the food was exactly the sort of breakfast I was craving by that point in my trip. So I guess I'm saying: if you're ever hungry for breakfast near Disneyland, check out the two-story IHOP.

Unless anyone out there happens to know of any other two-story IHOPs.

2 comments:

GiromiDe said...

I never heard of such a thing as a two-story IHOP.

But I haven't touched the stuff in years. The Chicagoland area is packed with independent and small-chain breakfast-and-lunch places -- typical hours are 6am to 2pm. So far, I've loved all of them.

If you're in the Chicagoland area in the near future, I'll give you some recommendations, or take you to one myself.

DrHeimlich said...

Yeah, the good "local spots" (if you're a local who knows them) are usually better than chain places. But let's face it -- down near Disneyland, it's ALL chain places.