Friday, March 09, 2007

Day Broken

Months ago, I dedicated a single post to the series Day Break. I noted it as very likely to be canceled (not that I had to be Nostradamus to have gotten that one right), and as a very interesting exercise in writing (specifically, writers dealing with problems).

Fortunately, for the maybe 6 people like me out there who were actually curious to see where this story was heading, ABC has finally put up all the remaining episodes on their web site. And the series was apparented always planned for a limited run, because it does actually have an ending.

Unfortunately, though, the writing didn't really stay up to snuff as the 13 episodes went on. Maybe it's just that I took a two month break between episodes and lost track of the major plot threads, but I think that the whole thing became increasingly incoherent. A raft of characters were involved by the end of the tale, too many to reasonably track how exactly everyone was supposed to be involved. There weren't really any more examples of the specific cleverness I'd seen in the writing during the episodes that actually aired.

In short, it just fizzled out. Just like its life on the air did. But like I said, it does have an ending, unlike so many canceled shows. So if you're curious, go check it out.

2 comments:

Davíd said...

I relly enjoyed Daybreak for its short time on the air. It is just a shame that it didn't hold up as it was very clever in how its plot all wove together, at least for the episodes that I saw. I guess I'll have to check this out, even if it doesn't hold up through all the episodes.

DrHeimlich said...

If you liked it while it was on, then it's definitely worth seeing the rest of it, even if it's not at the same level.