Friday, March 23, 2007

Retro Typing

You can read here all the gory details of how some engineering-minded guy turned a standard computer keyboard into this:


And I won't deny, it looks kind of cool, a computer keyboard styled like a typewriter. But I have to believe that it would trick my brain to use such a thing, in ways that would be a real display of form over function. It's been years since I've used a real typewriter (and longer still since I used one that wasn't electric, and had a keyboard like this), and I remember two things about it that really slowed down my usual typing speed:

1) You know that if you go too fast, it's possible for multiple keys to get jammed up at the point of contact with the paper. (Granted, this is working on a rather subconscious level.)

2) You know that if you mess up, you can't just push "backspace" a bunch of times to correct your mistake. This, I felt very much aware of while using a typewriter.

I have to believe that if I were to use a computer keyboard that really felt like computer keyboard, there would be some level of subconscious sense memory there that kicked in and made me slow down. I suppose maybe I could get used to it, if I had to.

Fortunately, I don't have to.

3 comments:

Allen G said...

I would totally love one of those. (I'd probably worry a bit more about my typing, but that's a good thing.)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you can already add the sounds effects to your keyboard somehow right now. chunk chunk chunk chunk ding! (that was me typing "cool")

the mole

Anonymous said...

I absolutely want one.
Right now!

FKL