Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blast From the Past

Shocho's LWC found a story at the web site for the Norfolk area newspaper today that was a weird reminder of days gone by. Many of you readers know of the game company I used to work for out in Virginia. Hell, more than a few of you used to work there yourselves.

What some of you may not know is the saga of how the brother-in-law of the company founder embezzled $1.5 million. The lawsuit against him claimed that the lack of operating capital led to nearly $9 million in business losses, and ultimately "contributed to the company's decision to lay off more than 90 employees." (Including me.)

It's been just over four years now since that lay off. Weirdly, the subject had come up in a couple of conversations I had recently with different friends -- coincidentally, not having anything to do with the "anniversary" of sorts. Everyone agreed that this is one case where it doesn't feel like "time flies." For everyone I discussed this with, both former co-workers and local friends I kept as I moved away from Colorado and then back, we agreed that those four years seem like a lifetime ago.

Reading this news story made me pause for just a moment, though, even though I'd learned the details of it years ago during my employment. If it weren't for the embezzlement, would I still working there, living in Virginia? Given that it does seem like a lifetime ago, it's pretty hard to imagine.

I guess this just gave me a few seconds of pondering "the road not taken," even though in this particular case, I had absolutely no control over which road I took.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a small idea about this but learning some details adds a lot. that guy spent all of the money?! and no mention about the personal drama of what the sister thinks of her husband stealing her brother's money and now going to jail over it. sounds like a movie plot.

from a different point of view, since I'm pretty much in the same situation since the big exodus, it kinda seems like not-too-long-ago for me. but my company went through a similar implosion (minus the embezzlement of course) and managed to survive. now I wonder where that "other" road might have taken me?...

the mole

Anonymous said...

I for one am quite happy to be back home. So should I thank that greedy brother-in-law?

FKL

Major Rakal said...

Kudos to Cheryl for picking up on the article. I passed right over it in the newspaper.

Interesting that only Rick was convicted. IIRC, his sister was heavily involved as well.

And yes, the layoffs do seem a lifetime ago. Maybe even two lifetimes -- I'm on my second job since The Company.

Jason said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I did a write-up for ICv2 tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Major Rakal:
Rick's sister?
What did she have to do with this?

FKL