Thursday, March 12, 2009

No News, Not Good News

So, the recent movement on the embezzlement case involving my former company was not the only occasion I've had recently to reflect on a former job. Just days ago, one of Denver's two major newspapers, the Rocky Mountain News, went out of business.

Those of you who know me even a little know what a night owl I am. It's practically unfathomable, but true -- I had a paper route for several years early in high school. I've even mentioned it once here, a bike route that eventually turned into a larger car route. I noted on the subject last time that bike routes had all surely been eliminated everywhere by now, making the job of "paper boy" extinct. Now, of course, news on the internet and television is putting newspapers out of business, so even newspaper delivery by adults is probably on a very short life span.

It's not really that I had any special connection to that first job. Hell, if anything, I spent years not getting enough sleep, not keeping the schedule that works best for me, and being an especially grumpy jerk throughout the day as a result. My quality of life improved notably the day I finally gave up that paper route.

Still, it's a little strange to see street corners in downtown Denver now, where the two papers used to sit side by side in vending machines; now the Rocky Mountain News machines have been ripped out, leaving little stains on the cement where they sat for years on end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pay phones
1-hour photo development

those are a couple more I can think of that are becoming extinct.

maybe also the Post Office and Cable TV soon? I got rid of cable a few months ago and just watch most shows online now-a-days.

the mole