Friday, October 09, 2009

Evaporating Television

Friday night is when new episodes of the TV series Psych run. It's an amusing enough show, mostly because of the chemistry between the two main characters, Shaun and Gus (played by James Roday and Dulé Hill). It's not quite a show I look forward to every week, but I always have fun with it. Several people I work with watch it too.

But we almost never talk about the week's new episode come Monday morning. And in part, this is because Psych is also "cotton candy television." You consume it, and it's oh so delicious at the time... but it just dissolves immediately. All of us in the Psych-watching group at work, some of whom profess to be "fans," always seem hard pressed to remember what the newest episode was about after a day or two.

I don't know what it is about this show that Men-in-Black-flashy-things you as the end credits arrive, but I have yet to find someone who watches it who has a clear memory of an episode. Every once in a while, you'll get a great moment like guest star George Takei asking "specifically for Michigan blueberries" or...

...or...

Okay, I'm out.

Is it just us? Or do any other Psych watchers out there want to confirm I'm not crazy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt pretty much the same way when I watched Sex & the City. Great stuff, brilliantly written and acted... but almost completely forgettable as soon as the TV is turned off.

FKL