Thursday, October 08, 2009

One on a Million

Having done alright recently with various films directed by Clint Eastwood (well, mostly), I decided to check out the one that took home the Best Picture Oscar: Million Dollar Baby. I know we're not talking about a "what a twist!" movie here, but I was aware beforehand about the direction the plot would take, and how the movie would end. I think I'd put off seeing the movie for a while for exactly that reason, wondering if that knowledge would take the wind from the film's sails.

Well, it didn't. I mean, if somehow you don't know about the complete plot of the movie, don't go and find out before you see it. But if you do already know, then know also that I don't think it harms the experience.

But I get a little ahead of myself. The basic story, no spoilers here, follows Clint Eastwood as a boxing trainer, who reluctantly takes on training a woman (Hilary Swank) after prodding from his friend and employee (Morgan Freeman). But it is a bit of a rough road getting them that far; the story is really about how this woman's determination finally gets through the Eastwood character's emotional armor, and what happens to both of them once that's happened.

So, that development in the plot. I'll say no more here, but suffice it to say that I thought that was when the movie really "arrived." The first chunk, following the establishment of the friendship between the two characters, was fine but not exceptional. Actually, Gran Torino is a very similar take on the same kind of material. But then more compelling drama kicks in, and the movie earns its reputation.

Hilary Swank is really phenomenal in the movie. She gives a really complete and raw performance, emotionally, physically, the works. Morgan Freeman also does stellar work; not only are his appearances on screen superb, but he once again proves that there's no better actor alive to be the narrator for your film. Clint Eastwood as a performer is really sort of the weak link in the cast. He's not bad, and his work in the final act of the film is actually really terrific, but for the bulk of the film it felt like he was just resting on a career's worth of established "tricks," and not rising to the level of the other actors.

Eastwood the director is strong throughout, however. The film brilliantly juggles moments of emotion and drama, sweet moments of humor, and (as it is in part a boxing movie) sequences of visceral violence. Camera work, editing choices, staging... they're all great.

In the end, it's a fantastic film. I mean that... "in the end," because I did find myself wishing around the middle of the film that it would get to the meat of it all a little faster. Nevertheless, it's a movie well worth seeing. I rate it a B+.

No comments: