Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 8, 2:00-4:00 PM

Somehow fitting that the final episode of 24 airs of the 24th of May. Let's get to it then!

Kiefer thanks us for hanging in there through cougars, moles, and other insanity.

Once more for old time's sake: events occur in real time.

It's not a "Security Alert," it's a "Security........ Alert."

It's not a "Global System Wipe," it's a "Globalsystem Wipe."

Like Cole was really gonna just leave after busting in like that. Worst bluff ever.

Chloe takes an uncomfortably long time to decide that letting Jack assassinate the Russian president isn't the best thing to do.

We're contractually obligated to show off the rear-view camera feature of this car. You'll want to buy this car in case you're ever racing to prevent an assassination.

"We couldn't have asked for a better outcome." Seriously?

Okay, the back seat gag was good -- credit where it's due.

In case the moles don't know where to go, CTU is putting up signs now when they're out in the field.

For her next mass e-mailing, Chloe will pose as a Nigerian prince.

This guard is seriously botching his perception role. (Or is Jack's obfuscate that high?)

Alright Jack, count to five while you get sutured. (Oops, wrong series ending this week.)

Stop saying "in less than an hour" instead of "within the hour" so that I can take a damn drink!

So... I guess she'll be wanting that pen back now.

Having failed to surpass David Palmer for best 24 president ever, Taylor now realizes she has only 90 minutes left to reach the summit in the opposite direction. (And she knows she has competition like Wayne Palmer and Charles Logan, so she's hopping to it!)

I wish my laptop booted up from sleep mode that fast.

Jack's "inside our perimeter." (Drink!)

Really? Vending machine reflection facial recognition?

Time for a "last minute perimeter sweep." (Drink!)

What's Arabic for "shut your pie hole?"

Eriq LaSalle just really wanted to be in a 24 before the chance was gone.

You might as well holster the gun, Chloe. If you actually need to use it against Jack, you won't be fast enough.

Was that a "dammit, Chloe"? I'm not sure if I should be drinking. Well... just in case.... drink!

Thankfully, they spare us the "halftime re-cap" that normally accompanies these two-hour episodes.

"Trust you?" asks Suvarov of Logan. Trust YOU?!

Chloe manages to Luke Darth Bauer.

"Dammit, Chloe! Pull the trigger!" (Drink!)

"I understand what's at stake here." (I have been here in this episode too.)

The return of Jack-ula!!!

Logan manages to further Sidious Darth Taylor.

Logan: "Clearly I underestimated her." Pillar: "What?"

A celebratory drink. What are you having, Pillar? "Morphine!"

Naming a country "IRK" seems even more ridiculous when we actually see it printed on a plaque.

Taylor suddenly remembers her character is nothing like this.

She'll be giving a more complete statement "within the hour." (Drink!)

Eric La Salle tells us again that the president will say more "within the hour." (Drink!)

Logan: "Let it ring." Pillar: "What? Let what ring?"

Pillar had a really rough day/hour, in which getting his ear bitten off was not the worst thing to happen to him.

After a first attempt three seasons earlier, Logan really goes through with shooting himself.

But he apparently stinks at that, just like everything else.

This is going to be a seriously busy news day.

Why did this crew not just shoot Jack on sight rather than abduct him?

Twinkle, twinkle, little drone.

One more "within the hour." (Drink!)

"Whatever happened here didn't happened." So, the opposite of Lost's finale, where "whatever happened, happened."

Maybe Jack will go back to Africa to see how that soccer kid ended up.

Have we just changed the way we track time?

And there it is. I have to say this finale was better than I think I was expecting it to be. If it wasn't coming at the end of such a nonsensical season (say, if it had capped last year's much improved season 7), I'd probably say the show was ending on a high note. As it is, I felt like it only managed to crawl partway out of an impossibly deep hole the writers of the show had dug.

But I'll still always have affection for those first three seasons or so of 24. So long, Jack Bauer. (Drink!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how awesome it was to have twisted the plot around to a point where Chloe shoots Jack. And it was after Jack got all "Jack" on Chloe and choked her out. cool stuff.

yeah I thought it was kinda hokey to have them drag Jack away to a garbage bag covered fence, graffiti, pile of dirt, wait, where the heck was he? I was trying to read the graffiti it was distracting me. at least they finally showed one of those drones! I could clearly see it on my giant HDTV! okay, my TV is not that big... at least they sort-of showed it.

I thought it was odd for Taylor to mention that the drone had super missiles on it. these drones are flying around cities? how come terrorists don't hack those things?

poor Pillar, his "I have a little girl" crying to Jack really put the punch on his eventual demise. Logan going all out super crazy at the end was kind of fun ending for his character. oops the guy even fails to kill himself. I guess he gets a cameo in the movie as a drooling idiot?

as I expected, they teased a couple of times with "are they really going to kill Jack?!" but I knew full well that nobody would go see a 24 movie that didn't have Bauer in it. I think they set up some nice dominoes here, if they are really going to make a movie I'll be looking forward to it.

the mole