Monday, January 04, 2010

2009 in Review -- Movies

2009 was a huge movie-watching year for me. I saw 188 movies throughout the year, three times as many as last year, and twice as many as any year since I started keeping track.

It's all due to Netflix. I'd put off subscribing for a long time, I suppose because I wondered if I'd get my money's worth out of it. That seems pretty ridiculous now -- I watched more than four times as many movies at home as I did in the theater. (to say nothing of the TV series I caught up on.)

Of all the movies I watched, just over 40 were released in 2009. There are still a few 2009 movies I intend to catch (mostly the major award contenders), but I've probably seen a wide enough base for me to give my own personal "top 10 list of 2009." (Or, at least, a provisional version.)

1. Up
2. Star Trek
3. Zombieland
4. (500) Days of Summer
5. Avatar
6. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
7. I Love You, Man
8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
9. Paranormal Activity
10. Inglourious Basterds

It's a list that I'm pretty passionate about for the first three or four movies or so, that starts to taper off pretty quickly -- a list of movies I certainly think are all worth seeing, but that is also literally just the ten best I've yet seen from 2009. I'm hoping that at least one or two of the 2009 films I catch later will claim spots on the list.

No comments: