Friday, October 18, 2013

$30 Rentals

It's time to consider cancelling Netflix.

I looked at my queue today and saw that the disc I have right now was shipped to me with an "estimated arrival" date of 7/31/13. I've had it almost three months. I could have bought that movie by now. Maybe twice.

Sure, fixing up the new house and moving into it has cut into my movie watching time, but seriously? At no point in three months could I find the time to watch one movie? A movie I was interested in enough to put at the top of my queue?

Some of you out there may be scratching your heads in confusion right now. Discs? Queues? Why am I not just using the streaming Netflix option? Well... I have that too, but that was really only to watch House of Cards and Arrested Development. (And maybe eventually, since I hear good things, Orange Is the New Black.) If you're a real movie enthusiast -- although these days, it might be questionable whether that describes me -- streaming doesn't begin to cut it. Maybe 20% of the movies you can get on disc are available for streaming. Maybe. Certainly not most of the ones I want to watch, anyway.

But then, if I'm not actually watching them? Well, there you go.

Dammit, I'm going to watch this movie this weekend!

(Side Effects, if you're curious.)

No comments: