Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Postponed on Account of Hockey

I think the general tone of my reviews of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episodes so far has been that I think the show isn't bad, but isn't great either. I'm not truly engaged by it, I want it to get better, and I think maybe I can. Good news came in the last week, in the form of a full season order of 22 episodes from network ABC. The series is going to get the chance to find itself. (And it's the first full season order a Joss Whedon show has received since season 5 of Angel. Yikes.)

However, a sure measure of my lack of enthusiasm so far is this: I have no review today of last night's episode. I went to see the Colorado Avalanche last night (who kind of squeaked by the Dallas Stars to extend their improbable undefeated streak this season to 6 games). We didn't get home from the game crazy late or anything. If this had been a new Firefly episode waiting on my DVR? Or hell, maybe even a new episode of Dollhouse, second-season-era? I would have stayed awake however late it took to watch it immediately. But Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Nah... as things stand right now, it'll wait. Possibly even until Friday, looking at my next couple of nights.

In fact, odd as it sounds, my favorite show on TV right now, now that Breaking Bad has sailed off into the sunset, might just be The Good Wife. I suspect this because no one else I know is ever itching to talk about the newest episode with me; I'm not watching it to stay in the loop. Entertainment web sites don't tend to talk about it much, and when they do, the stories are pretty easy to spot and avoid; I'm not worried about having anything spoiled for me if I don't watch the new episode immediately. And yet, despite all that, it seems to be the show I hurry to fastest when a new episode is on my DVR. (Or, as was the case this week, not on my DVR. Slight malfunction there with the new episode that drove me to CBS' web site.)

So, changing times, I guess. I'm postponing a new Joss Whedon show for a hockey game, and more excited to watch a legal drama in any case.

2 comments:

Joshua Delahunty said...

Don't feel too bad, Joss is only exec on this one anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

The Avalanche is doing great... under the leadership of ex-goaler-superstar Patrick Roy, of Canadiens fame.
Of course they're doing great. :)

FKL