Friday, October 25, 2013

Grand Inquisitive

My boyfriend picked up Grand Theft Auto V this week, and just a few days later, it's looking like I'll have a large chunk of reading time to chip away at the huge stack of books that I've let build up.

And it's sounding like Blazing Saddles is playing on a loop at my house.

There are a truly shocking number of racial slurs flying around in this game. And when I mentioned this to some friends recently, it led to a rather amusing examination of the rather arbitrary places people can draw lines. Basically, my arbitrarily drawn lines seemed to say: "Sure, sleep with a prostitute and then kill her to get your money back. Who cares? It's just a game! Wow, that's a lot of n-words."

I think it's because I have a mental image of the team of writers who probably wrote all the dialogue for this game, and that's an image that doesn't quite sit right in my mind. But yeah, I admit, my standards might be a bit goofy on this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never played any of the titles in the franchise. Now while I'll admit that the games do have good visuals (especially the last one, obviously), the first thing a bunch of people told me they were looking forward to in the new installment was "killing hookers."

Maybe I'm old-school and boring, but it strikes me as a rather fucked-up thing to be looking forward to (above running from the law, above car chases, above gunfights?), even in a videogame.

FKL