Monday, October 09, 2006

Third Time is Not the Charm

Well, I gave Heroes three chances -- and now, I'm out. I struggled through tonight's episode, having heard there was some "big thing" at the end that was going to wow me. All the while, I'm wincing at the awful dialogue, growing restless with the ways the same damn information from the first two episodes is being recycled, and hoping that this promised ending is going to redeem all that.

Well, it didn't. The big ending was just the same information restated yet once more. We get it! She's invulnerable! Can we please get on with it?

Good thing Studio 60 once again delivered a good episode. Tonight's installment was arguably heavier on the comedy and lighter on the drama than the first three, but it was still a great ride.

But the truth is, the TV I enjoyed the most tonight was watching the season three premiere of Battlestar Galactica a second time, this time listening to the podcast commentary provided by series creator Ronald D. Moore. As always, it offered great insight into the making of a TV series -- commentary of a caliber I wish was more common on the DVDs I buy.

3 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

Hmm... I've actualy found Heroes to be getting better as it goes on. The first episode had nothing but a decent premise, the second actually had some plot development and character development, and the third gave more character development. I admit that I enjoy the premise of the show and that is what has kept me coming back to a show that is cliched and only somtimes rises above mediocrity, but I definitely see it improving and that will make me keep watching it.

I'm glad to see Studio 60 return to being entertaining again after a slight hiccough last week.

Thanks for reminding me about the BSG podcast. I'm hoping Moore talks about why they decided to completely change the setting of the show. Which is still frakking awesome, of course.

TheGirard said...

You had better watch it Evan. If you like Studio 60 anymore, they are going to cancel it.

GiromiDe said...

It's Lost with superheroes, with the flashbacks told in multiple parallel storylines. I know this is how many ensemble disaster stories like this were told before, but I'm post-modern cynical.

I might be completely wrong, but I don't think Studio 60 will survive to next season. I like it, but it's hard to put any emotional investment into a show about a ficitious television show. The West Wing was always, "This is what politics SHOULD be like, dammit!" I don't get the same vibe from Studio 60.