Monday, December 08, 2008

Just Business

I don't think I liked tonight's Prison Break episode all that much. But I have to say, it was pretty hard for me to tell.

Here's another fresh reason I hate DirecTV (piled on top of all the other reasons I'm mentioned in the past): it's a satellite service. A pigeon can take a crap on your dish and mess up your signal. Half a foot of snow and it may be all but out for the count. Which is basically what happened tonight... we got about six inches of snow this evening in the south suburbs of Denver, which has apparently pooled up in my rooftop dish in such a way as to mess with some of my channels while leaving others intact. FOX was affected.

I was able to watch tonight's episode, but with extreme and persistent video artifacting that brought to mind memories of trying to watch unpurchased HBO or Showtime back in the 1980s on a day when, for whatever reason, the scrambling wasn't quite so bad. They'll have the episode up on the FOX web site tomorrow, I believe, but for now, this was all I had.

It was clear enough that more of the out of character behavior I disliked from last week dominated the plot this week.

Why did Gretchen not kill Self the moment he had the chance? She can't have thought she wouldn't be able to barge into her sister's house and kill T-Bag before he could harm her family.

What possible job could the General have for Linc that would trump killing him and Michael and being done with everything? The Company was already well on their way to tracking Self and Gretchen on their own -- both by image scans and by the Bible-selling Mole.

But I do suppose I can believe T-Bag wanting to turn over a new leaf. He had a few moments of that while on the run back in season two. Maybe it's just that I don't mind seeing someone get the drop on him for a change, so I forgive any strain of credibility there.

I believe we have two more episodes before a break of unspecified length. Hopefully things will pick up in that time.

4 comments:

TMac said...

See I've had a completely different experience. In the four years we've had DirecTV it has gone out three times. Twice due to severe like out of the bible thunderstorms and once due to snow. Granted we get far less snow then Denver but it has snowed more then once.

I had cable go out probably around three times in four years as well. I figure its a wash.

Now I haven't been on cable for four years but when we switched the quality was much better on DirecTV. My DirecTV HD service and On Demand service is much better then my mom's HD and On Demand in Atlanta. Not sure what similar service is like here in Charlotte.

The service is much better with DirecTV, the hold times were less and they give you stuff when they mess up without asking.

About the only I don't like is the DVR operating system. I like the technology, it records hours upon hours (50 I think) of HD content. The OS is crap though compared to TiVo.

Of course if I went through what you went through to your service hooked up I probably wouldn't like DirecTV either.

Anonymous said...

I saw a preview of the new The Day the Earth Stood Still yesterday, and saw a flash of Robert Knepper (T-Bag) as a military colonel or general.

Somehow, after 3 1/2 years of creepy Bagwell, it gave me a weird vibe...

Jean-Luc

Anonymous said...

I loved that T-Bag scene. I was actually pissed for a moment when we discovered that the bible-selling dude was really a mole, and that T-Bag had been right.
It was just a beautiful moment of clarity for his character, and it got ruined by the bible bastard.
Damn him. Damn him to hell.

Oh, and what were the odds that he'd know the passage T-Bag recited? Come on.

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

Robert Knepper is also playing the bad guy in Transporter 3 right now. Which I've heard is pretty terrible, even according to some people I know who loved the first two.